Wednesday, April 22, 2009

A Tragedy in C Major, Ch. 4

Chapter 4


At this point in time Lemits wasn't about to waste time, and so headed toward his office, hauling George along. Yes, he had an office. After all, he was an upper level manager. Or, in other words, he was a manager on the second floor, which everyone knew was called the upper level.

Once they were in his office with the door closed between them and the field of curious eyeballs Lemits squashed his chair cushion and then asked George "Okay, what is going on."

George wasted no time and launched right into his tirade. "It is simply awful Lemits! This could be the end of the company! I would go so far as to say the end of our very lives! I simply can not see how this was"

At which point Lemits interrupted with a loud "Wait a minute!" and a large breaking-of-their-eye-contact hand. "You are the General Office Assistant of Institutional Correctness, right?"

"Yes."

"Then I don't think that I see how this is possible. Nothing that pertains to your job could threaten the company, let alone our lives!"

Obviously Lemits just didn't understand how important George's job was. "But it does! It is a matter of life and death!"

"And I am telling you for the last time that that is not possible. If you found something that you think the company needs to see, file a report and it will be taken care of!" And what could George say to that?

Lemits got up and opened the door of his office for George. It wasn't long before George got the message, got up, and got out of the room. He headed back to the elevator, and pushed the inlaid brass 'down' arrow, and climbed into the elevator. The doors closed. Have you ever wondered what would happen if you pushed the down button on an elevator, and then pushed the button for a floor above the one you were on? I have all the time, but I don't think that George had ever really thought about it. He just did it. One would think that the elevator would just take you to the floor whose button you pushed, wouldn't one? In fact, I would like to meet One. That person sure does a lot of thinking around here. I mean, I think he does more thinking than any other person that I know of. Unless he is really a she. Then she does more thinking than Wha? What did you say? Oh, the elevator. Right. So you would think that it would just go to the floor that you pushed the button for, but it wouldn't be absurd to think that it would get terribly confused and break down, right? I mean, that is what I would do if someone told me to go down and then said that it was up. Luckily for George, the elevator was smarter than me, and when he pushed the button for the third floor, with its fancy silver and gold inlay, the elevator just went up.

No comments: